The Huffington Post recently re-blogged a list of 30 things every women should have and should know by the time the turn 30. The list was first published by Glamour magazine in 1997.
I know I’m not turning 30 any time soon – I still have 3.5 years – but I think this list is great for women of any age.
The first half of the list – what every woman should have – really stood out to me.
1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come.
I have both. The thought of each of them makes me laugh for many very different reasons.
2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family.
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour.
I’ll change 95 times in that hour, but I’ll have the perfect outfit when I’m out the door.
4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying.
Yes to all three. And the last two are both polka dot.
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond.
6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age.
I’ll make your eye twitch and face blush with how juicy my stories get.
7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age — and some money set aside to help fund it.
Savings? What’s that? My dad would be so upset with me right now for saying that…and so proud of sister.
8. An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account — all of which nobody has access to but you.
Check. Check. And check.
9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded.
Already there. I’m thankful for my vast experience at such a young age.
10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry.
I’m luck to have many of these. Some friends are actually both.
11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra.
Surprisingly, the only thing on this list I don’t have is the lace bra.
12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it.
Depends who you ask, and your definition of ridiculous. I’ll say no, but that’s probably a lie.
13. The belief that you deserve it.
Always deserve it!
14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30.
I have had this since 19. I am my mother’s twin and the only wrinkles she has are around her eyes. To avoid the crow’s feet, I started using eye cream at a young age.
15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better.
Developing the career every day…the relationship is still playing Polka-Roo with me.
To check out the second half to the list – what every woman should know – hop on over to the Huffington Post.